Home
T Bucket Chassis
29 A Roof Fill
29 A Sport Coupe
30 AA Truck
30 Ford A Woody Camper
31 Chevy Coupe
36 Plymoth Mustang II
37 Chevy Coupe
1941 Cadillac Tudor Sedan
46 Dodge Truck
47 Dodge Sedan Rod
48 Chevy Truck
49 Chevy 3100 Pkup
49 Caddilac Sedan
50 Chevallac Frame
50 Chevy Pkup Chop
1950 Chevrolet Kustom Pickup
55 Merc Build Book
56 Chevy 4 Dr Htp
57 Chevy Hardtop
65 SS Impala Conv
67 Dart GTS
67 C10 Kustom


Current Project,
Restoration: 1956 Chevrolet 4 door hardtop.  Work to be done: Strip car and repair any rust or damaged areas. Repaint to stock red and white scheme. Paint interior black. Car was restored in California about 10 years ago. Do not let this happen to you!! We call this one the "Foam Car". Any rust or damage was backfilled with expanding foam and just mudded over with filler!!! If you see foam, RUN!! Total bill $8,000 with over 228 man hours!!

Click pictures for a larger view.

This is the right front fender after glass blasting. Rust holes show up real fast. Foam was behind the light lip to hold the filler. We welded the larger holes and used a hardening panel bond for the rest. 
The left fender was not as bad. Some welding took care of most of it. 
On the right lower front fender we found more unfinished damage. Holes used to straighten the fender were never welded closed.
The roof wings had been rusted through and filled with fiberglass instead of replacing panels. The owner decided not to spend the $ to cut it out and do it right. 
The left rear rocker had bubbles showing. When the metal was cut out the whole rocker was full of foam. Everything was removed and sealed. The right side was the same.
Here is a shot of the right side rocker panel. Again filled with foam.
This is the left rocker after the patch is welded in, before finish work is done.
The car was hit on the left side at one time. Very poor job. The holes for pulling the quarter panel out were never welded, just filler spread over them! We welded it all.
Here is more rust holes. The left rear quarter panel by the back door. Rust holes the size of nickels were just mudded over!
Had not seen this before. A hole the size of a dollar coin on top of the left rear quarter. Looked like the old patch fell out. We fitted a metal patch and welded it in. Also the wing is filled with fiberglass just like the right side.
The trunk lid looked good until we stripped it. Both lower corners were so bad you could put your fingers in the holes. We opted for a different lid. The lid was also full of foam!
The top of the trunk lid even had rust holes above the key hole!
The owner had some extra trunk lids and we took what looked the best. After glass blasting we found a small corner with holes. A small patch took care of it. The emblem holes were also filled.
When the right front door was stripped we found lots of problems. Lots of rust and more unfinished damage. They just brazed some galvanized tin to the back side and filled over the holes!! Door was replaced.
The right rear door really was bad. A poor job of brazing a patch in and most of the holes were not filled. We couldn't find a replacement door so we reskinned this one.
This is the right rear door with a replacement skin on the bottom half. Had a 57 door but they are different.
We though the trunk was bad. The rear tail pan was Swiss cheese. The whole back pan was filled with foam, level to the trunk floor.
Another shot of the tail pan and the holes that were just filled over with filler.
We removed the tail pan and found a real mess. Lots of holes and full of foam!!
Here is the tail pan base with new panels welded in and sealed up.
Much better, a new tail pan section is installed over the lower repaired base panel.
Here the right side is stripped and all the damage is exposed. Lots of hours to fix someone else's mess.
This is the right front replacement door. Glass blasted and no damage found. Did have to move the molding holes for different chrome.
This is the left side stripped and the damage exposed.
The right side with new door and skin, damage all fixed and block sanded. The two tone primer helps with coverage and color when painted.
Final primer and sealer on a very straight 56.
A front shot of the final primer and blocking with 400 grit before paint.  
Final paint, PPG Global base with clear coat was used. It is as shinny and smooth as it looks.
New paint and parts reassembled. This is not yet buffed and you can see your reflection! Total bill $8,000 with 228 man hours!!
The dash was a bronze color. Sanded and painted with PPG single stage Global. All the trim parts were also painted.

 

 

Home ] Up ] T Bucket Chassis ] 29 A Roof Fill ] 29 A Sport Coupe ] 30 AA Truck ] 30 Ford A Woody Camper ] 31 Chevy Coupe ] 36 Plymoth Mustang II ] 37 Chevy Coupe ] 1941 Cadillac Tudor Sedan ] 46 Dodge Truck ] 47 Dodge Sedan Rod ] 48 Chevy Truck ] 49 Chevy 3100 Pkup ] 49 Caddilac Sedan ] 50 Chevallac Frame ] 50 Chevy Pkup Chop ] 1950 Chevrolet Kustom Pickup ] 55 Merc Build Book ] [ 56 Chevy 4 Dr Htp ] 57 Chevy Hardtop ] 65 SS Impala Conv ] 67 Dart GTS ] 67 C10 Kustom ]

Lava2.GIF (2023 bytes)

 

Copyright © 1999 Hot Rods by HG™.
Designed and Published by Lusions Publishing.
All Rights Reserved.  http://www.hotrodsbyhg.com